In the past, in order to use IT solutions, companies had to purchase and install software to be integrated into their servers and workstations. Since then, the digital age has come a long way thanks to cloud computing technology. Companies are now more easily relying on Software as a Service (SaaS). An explanation of this way of working online and the relevance of translation in this field.
What is SaaS?
SaaS stands for “software as a service” and gives the company the possibility to use software via the Internet via a subscription.
No more expensive purchases, laborious installation and maintenance of cumbersome software on the company’s servers or computers. It is a turnkey solution that is accessible, easy to use, and above all, hosted on the provider’s server.
Employees have easy access to it, they just need to log on via the Internet from any medium (computer, tablet, mobile).
This new SaaS mode can be deployed across all sectors (office automation, customer relationship management (CRM), ERP, human resources management, videoconferencing, instant messaging, etc.). You are probably familiar with some of the must-haves such as Salesforce.com, Google G suite, SAP, Microsoft office and Oracle.
Companies have already embraced this SaaS model, which is why software publishers are deploying it across all industries to meet the needs of their diverse customers.
SaaS solutions offer users incomparable freedom of action. Let’s look at the advantages and limitations of this solution.
The advantages of SaaS
Interms of price, the company is at an advantage, because it no longer needs to pay a huge sum of money to acquire the software, it simply subscribes to the software. In addition, the price will depend on the functions used and the number of users.
As SaaS is the most widely used mode nowadays, competition is fierce among publishers, which allows for a relatively low price offer.
On apractical level, the supplier centralises the maintenance and application update tasks and, importantly, ensures the security of your data in its own data centres.
Interms of accessibility, employees have direct access to the software via the Internet. This means that they can log in anywhere, all they need is an internet connection and a computer.
Good to know: From an environmental point of view, sharing the software of several companies via the server of the same supplier reduces energy consumption.
In short, SaaS mode is highly advantageous for your company as it includes:
- SaaS maintenance by the supplier
- Updating of SaaS applications by the supplier
- A subscription (no purchase of license, but a right of use)
- A solution that can by accessed from the cloud anywhere by anyone with access codes.
- Simultaneous access to work together if your employees are geographically dispersed in France and abroad
The disadvantages of SaaS mode
Of course, this solution can’t be perfect and there are some limitations to the use of such software as a service.
- Dependence on the supplier: first of all, you will be dependent on your supplier and this can be constraining. What if the supplier goes bankrupt?
- The difficulty of changing providers: in the event that you want to change providers, the data transfer will be more difficult because, as stated above, your data is entirely hosted on the provider’s servers.
- More expensive than buying the software: the price varies according to the options and the number of users, so it is sometimes more worthwhile purchasing the software rather than subscribing to it.
- Data security: from a security point of view, you place your trust in your supplier who ensures the protection of your data. But what if their servers were to get hacked?
The benefits of translation
For any company with an international outlook, translation plays a decisive role.
As you can see, using SaaS that is accessible on the cloud allows your company to work remotely with all your employees, without geographical limits.
Thanks to its online software, you can freely and easily deploy your business internationally. This is why translation has also developed in SaaS mode as many companies have needed to translate their content to work with their foreign counterparts.
As with other online software, you will be able to use it simultaneously with as many users as you need and translate your content into all target languages.
For further information, consult our article, “Why and how to subtitle videos in multilingualformat?”
Companies are increasingly using SaaS mode, which offers them flexibility and financial savings, but also the possibility to get rid of the operating problems related to the use of software. This system allows companies to focus entirely on their business from wherever they want.
Therefore, whether they are in the office, on the road or at home, employees always have access to their applications as long as they have a computer (tablet or mobile) and an Internet connection.
These new systems encourage international professional exchanges and it is for this reason that translation is involved in SaaS mode. Working with people both near and far and translating content to be shared is now child’s play.